Burkart Academy is an intensive, four-day experience catering to high-level high school students and advancing college students. Participants will have the chance to perform in daily masterclasses and workshops guided by Burkart Artists, Carol Wincenc, Jim Walker, and Cathy Ransom-Karoly. Burkart Academy gives students the opportunity to perform and learn from the world’s finest flute instructors.
Over the course of Burkart Academy, each participant will perform in three masterclasses, one with each world-renowned teacher. Participants are also encouraged to attend the other masterclass sessions running concurrently during the day. The opportunity for private lessons with each teacher will also be available (scheduled independently of Burkart Academy, additional lesson fees apply).
Mock auditions will challenge participants to perform their prepared audition repertoire while receiving instant feedback from Burkart Academy Faculty members. Students will start the Burkart Academy experience on Thursday evening, October 24th, with an initial assessment, via mock audition. During the next two days, participants will attend daily seminars (ie. portfolio and application reviews), workshops, and masterclasses presented by Faculty members. Attendees will be given the opportunity to apply their newfound knowledge to Saturday and Sunday’s mock auditions with further feedback from Faculty members.
Burkart Academy is an intimate, friendly, and one-of-a-kind learning environment. Students will have personal interactions with Faculty members during mealtimes, throughout the day, and during all activities. This program seeks to give students in-depth and foolproof audition preparation and provides them with success in their upcoming musical endeavors.
Dates and Times: October 24-27, 2019
Burkart Academy activities will begin at 5:00pm (EST) on Thursday, October 24, 2019. Participants should plan to arrive and check in to the Stony Brook Hilton Garden Inn (or alternate accommodations) after 3:00pm (EST).
Burkart Academy scheduled activities will conclude on Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 1:00 pm.
For a sample schedule, click here.
Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, New York
Hilton Garden Inn Stony Brook, 1 Circle Rd, Stony Brook, NY 11794
1. Download your application here
2. Fill out your application and mail to Burkart-Phelan, Inc., 2 Shaker Road #D107, Shirley, MA 01464
*$50 application fee can be paid by check (included with mailed application) or by credit card (Call Burkart with card information at 978-425-4500)
*Admittance to Burkart Academy occurs on a rolling basis. Participants will be notified of their acceptance within two weeks (14 days) of receipt of the application AND application fee. Tuition Fee, regardless of application date, must be paid in full by October 1, 2019.
Tuition Fees (Daily lunch included)
Application Fee: $50 (Download your application here)
Early Registration has been extended!
$1,350 with application before October 1, 2019!
Auditor Fee: $75 per day, paid in full by October 1, 2019 (For more information about auditing Burkart Academy see below)
SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE – See application for details
*Tuition Fees, regardless of application date, must be paid in full by October 1, 2019. Checks can be made payable to “Burkart-Phelan, Inc.” and mailed to Burkart-Phelan, Inc., 2 Shaker Road #D107, Shirley, MA 01464. For Credit Card Payments, call Burkart at 978-425-4500.
- Performance in three masterclasses, one with each world-renowned teacher
- Daily seminars covering foolproof audition techniques, audition preparation, academic and career guidance
- Mock auditions with instant feedback from Faculty Artists
- Individual portfolio and college application review
- Repair assessments/service by Burkart technicians
- Daily lunches with attendees and Faculty Artists
For Auditors (October 25th and 26th Only)
Please download and fill out the application here. Auditors are required to submit an application with $50 non-refundable application fee in order to secure their spot at Burkart Academy. Please be sure to list your expected dates of attendance on page two of the application. A $75 per day fee must be paid in full prior to July 15, 2019. Checks can be made payable to “Burkart-Phelan, Inc.” and mailed to Burkart-Phelan, Inc., 2 Shaker Road #D107, Shirley, MA 01464. For Credit Card Payments, call Burkart at 978-425-4500. Lunch is included in daily auditor fee.
Lodging is not included in tuition fees. Although many options are available near Stony Brook University and the surrounding areas, participants are encouraged to book their stay at the Stony Brook Hilton Garden Inn as most Burkart Academy events will be held in the hotel. Please contact the Stony Brook Hilton Garden Inn for reservations at (631) 941-2980. To secure your discounted rate, it is imperative that all attendees provide the name of the group “Burkart Flutes and Piccolos” when booking the reservation.
| Group Rates*|
|Queen/Queen Single Occupancy |
Queen/Queen Double Occupancy
| $180.00 |
|King Single Occupancy|
King Double Occupancy
*Rates include breakfast buffet (Friday-Sunday)
Please visit the Stony Brook Hilton Garden Inn website for travel details:
1. Participants are required to prepare the following repertoire:Either W.A. Mozart Concerto in G Major, or D Major, in their entirety
2. A contrasting solo piece, appropriate for an audition setting (Ex: Ibert Concerto, Bach Sonata, Enesco Cantabile et Presto, etc.)
3. Required Excerpts
- Beethoven, Leonore Overture No. 3: Measure 1 to Allegro, Measure 328 through measure 360
- Brahms, Symphony No. 4 in E Minor, Op. 98, Movement IV: measure 93 through measure 105
- Debussy, Prélude à l’après-midi d’un faune (Afternoon of a Faun): Measure 1 through measure 30
- Mendelssohn, Incidental Music to A Midsummer Night’s Dream, Scherzo
- Ravel, Daphnis and Chloé, Suite No. 2: Rehearsal #176 to Rehearsal #180
The following excerpts are optional though highly recommended:
- Bach, “Aus Liebe will mein Heiland sterben” from St. Matthew Passion
- Dvořák, Symphony No. 8 in G Major, Movement IV: 8 measures before rehearsal D through rehearsal E
- Stravinsky, L’Oiseau de feu (Firebird): Suite (1919 Version): Variation de l’oiseau de feu (Firebird Variation)